Health Benefits of the Outdoors
There are many, many great reasons to get kids outdoors. PE is not enough - they need the sun, fresh air, brain and body benefits of being outside. Walks, bike rides, tennis, soccer, outdoor capture the flag, recess games...there is so much fun to be had outdoors!
"Being outside can improve memory, fight depression, and lower blood pressure — here are 12 science-backed reasons to spend more time outdoors (read full article here):
1. Walking in nature could improve your short-term memory.
2. Being outdoors has a demonstrated de-stressing effect.
3. Spending time outside reduces inflammation.
4. Enjoying the outdoors helps eliminate fatigue.
5. Outdoor experiences may help fight depression and anxiety.
6. Being outside may protect your vision (especially for children).
7. Spending time outside lowers blood pressure.
8. It could improve your ability to focus.
9. You may perform better on creative tasks after being outside.
10. Outdoor sessions may even help prevent cancer.
11. Forests also might boost your immune system.
12. With all this, it's not surprising that outdoor time is associated with a lower overall risk of early death.